Re: debugging symbols

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:37:07PM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:47:53AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > Please, *please*, *please* build these packages with full debugging, or
>
> Debian policy is frozen at the moment, pending the release of woody.
> Once woody is released, we can discuss the idea of modifying policy to
> allow debugging symbols in alpha/beta packages.  I'm not completely
> opposed to such a suggestion.  But it's not going to happen right
> away.

It is certainly true that Debian Policy requires that binaries be
shipped stripped.

However ...

> (Note: before you panic -- no, gnome2 will not be in woody.)

... so there is no reason that the gnome2 packages must be free of
policy-induced bugs in the short term.

I don't see the harm in shipping the gnome2 packages WITH debugging
symbols, even though it violates policy, while gnome2 is considered
"alpha".  Once gnome2 is released, we can remove the debugging symbols
and become policy-compliant.

Is this not a reasonable compromise?

Regards,
-Steve