Re: Gnome 2 summary 27/06/2002

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 05:23:04PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 17:06, Joe Drew wrote:
>
> > Red Hat and Ximian will definitely be concentrating on this. Getting
> > GNOME 2 packages in unstable will definitely increase the number of eyes
> > on them, and increase quality in the long run. I personally plan to
> > upload the GNOME 2 version of gedit soon-ish (i.e., once I make it); I
> > hope other maintainers follow suit.
>
> Ok.
>
> Personally, it seems backwards to me to upload everything to unstable
> now, and then only later worry about a transition plan.  But if the
> general consensus is to replace GNOME 1 now (and so far it appears to
> be), then let's just do it.

I thought that a new GNOME 1.4.x just came out and is still supported
upstream, no?  Am I misinterpreting this quote from Jeff Waugh?

    Well, we are just about to release GNOME 1.4.1, developer platform
    up to fifth toe, so we're kinda still supporting it. :-)

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2002/debian-gtk-gnome-200206/msg00105.html

And

    Coming from upstream...

    You're probably best off maintaining both, at least until a)
    2.0.2ish and/or b) Ximian / Red Hat release their 2.0-based
    desktops.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2002/debian-gtk-gnome-200206/msg00153.html

If this is at all accurate, I'd personally hate to see Gnome 1.4 get
clobbered, even from unstable.

-S