Anti-aliased fonts issues

Hello all,

I'm having some problems getting acceptable anti-aliased fonts to
display well, particularly against dark backgrounds. I'm using GNOME 2.2
in sid.

When I choose any smoothing option other than Monochrome, fonts look
great, nice and smooth, except for a few serious problems: With many
fonts, the letters "k" and "x" lose a few too many pixels. Also, against
dark backgrounds (webpages like www.flipcode.com or www.linuxgames.com)
the text can be very hard to read. So for now my solution is "just use
monochrome" but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this and perhaps
had a more palatable solution, i.e. smooth fonts that look good against
all backgrounds.

Thanks,
Nick