Re: Ubuntu logout dialog patch in Debian [Discuss]

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> I think that it is quite hard to find good metaphors for suspend, hibernate
> and restart at all. The terms are really very technical.

 That's true; I've seen attempts at such icons, and these were not easy
 to use, but it was still more easy to remember that the "Zzz" icon is
 for suspend than to read the text each time.  Ubuntu simply uses
 different colors for the power button.  Still an improvement IMO.

> The GNOME dialogs only requires you to scan the buttons horizontally.
> THe Ubuntu dialog is harder to scan since it also uses the vertical
> orientation and has got a separated cancel button.

 (I don't find the Ubuntu dialog harder to use, but YMMV.)

> Oh, take a look at pm-utils - it makes use of uswsusp and provides good
> scripts that can be easily extended. They work really great here on my
> ThinkPad in combination with hal.

 Thanks; I'm happy for now really, but pm-utils is said to be the long
 term replacement for acpi-support, so I suppose I will switch to it at
 some point.

--
Loïc Minier