ENV for gconftool-2

For a long time (1+ years) I have had a cron job run a script every 15
minutes to change my desktop background. Recently it stopped working.
The script still runs but the background image is not changed. If I run
the script from the command line it behaves as ususal.

Evidently there is some ENV variable that gconftool-2 needs to change
the background. What might it be?

The script line that changes the background:

/usr/bin/gconftool-2 -t str --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename $FileName

The installed version of gconftool-2 (included in gconf2):

gconf2: Installed: 2.24.0-7

--
"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas
 is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -- H. L. Mencken