Re: Please, please, strongly consider including GTK4.10 in bookworm in some way.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 1:27 PM Zeke Williams <lakeleaf8@gmail.com> wrote:
> - Backport the special fix from 4.10 to 4.8 (if 4.8 is the decided
> version to go with bookworm)
> - Upgrade 4.8 to 4.10 in testing.
> - Use bookworm-backports to have it possible to install GTK 4.10 in bookworm.
>
> I just ask you to put consideration into this, waiting the next 3
> years for GNOME and GTK to be a more tolerable experience is something
> that would be extremely unpleasant. GTK4.0-4.8 was even worse than
> GTK3, it's only tolerable in 4.10.

New Debian Stable releases happen every 2 years, not 3. There are
always going to be things that don't make the deadline. GNOME 44 is
better than GNOME 43 and GNOME 45 will be even better. Sorry.

We have limited influence to ask the few and busy volunteers on the
Debian Release team to approve big changes.

It is not a small change to add the thumbnail feature to 4.8 and I
don't think any existing Debian GNOME contributors have the extra time
to work on this.

Thank you,
Jeremy Bícha