Serial port data question

Hello group!

I have been referred to this group, as you have been recommended as THE place to come with questions. Here goes...

I need to read a voltage that would be delivered to a serial port pin and then push that data up to a server every hour, while having a batch of daily readings emailed once per day. Obviously, some error trapping would need to be employed, and some fault tolerance built in... but, the basic scheme is very straightforward.

What are your recommendations? Would you recommend one of the available pieces of software that's "out there"? Is there something one of you has written that already covers this ground?

For the record, my Linux/Unix skills are rusty, but I can probably handle whatever you'd throw at me. This is a personal project and one that does not have a crunching timeline.

Thank you group! I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Please reply to: wa6hzt@hotmail.com if that didn't show up as the address of choice.

Gary