Pirate hispeed wireless data...

Cause I live in the Ozarks, and none of the legal solutions are worth the powder to blow to hell.

The 56k POTS is all rite if you live in town. But sound like a 1930's movie if you dont. I'm only 6 miles, and it pops and cracks so bad it is always dropping carrier.

They offer wireless to a transponder on a ridge, but it's at 900 mhz or more. It cant get down into the river bottoms at all. It cant penetrate the forest canopy, which is why so many of us live here in the first place, and it gets even worse in wet weather, which we've been having so much more of. Prolly the local effect of greenhouse warming.

Theoretically, you can get data off the dish. But every time I check, all I can do is put my name on a waiting list.

You can get hispeed data in town. ADSL, I believe.
Hmm. Well, I like debian, been running the Corel version for years, and right now am trying the new XANDOS version. It's got a ton a toys, and I wonder if the sound (mic/speaker) I/O could be fed to a transmitter/receiver combo for full duplex at a lower frequency that could handle the terrain. There's lotsa dead air. With a portable TV and rabbit ears, unless you are on a ridge, you'll get one, count them, one TV channel. Fortunately, PBS. They dont havta make a buck broadcasting here, and nobody else bothers. Hit 'scan' on the truck radio, on US 65 between Marshall & Leslie, and it'll leave the Christian Fundy station from Marshall, and after ten seconds, ends up back at the Christian Fundy radio station.

We usta use CB, and that low frequency could go, with an outside Yagi antenna, from one bottom over a ridge and down into the next. There's lotsa dead air from 50mhz on up. Seems like a spread spectrum transmitter wouldnt have any trouble locating an empty frequency to use.

But could the sound card be used this way? or is there a better way?