Re: We have a problem

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 02:42:27PM +0100, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 09:28:51AM -0400, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> > It seems Mr. Ian Learmonth has taken it upon himself to remove "inactive
> > uploaders" from the soundmodem package without asking those people if they
> > wanted to be removed.
>
> You have never performed an upload on this package, nor are you mentioned in
> the changelog for the package.
>
> Debian Policy §5.6.3 states that this field is to be used to list
> co-maintainers of the package. You have not performed any maintainence on
> this package nor do I believe you had any intention of doing so.

You need to do more research.  I was the maintainer for the ax25 suite of
packages and the soundmodem package. It may have been in prehistoric times
for you, but you should never say never unless you are absolutely sure.

Another indication of you needing to do just a bit more research is the recent
"soundmodem is orphaned and unmaintained upstream" oops.  A simple email
to Thomas would have given you the answer but instead you apparently did a
brief web search and decided to call the package dead upstream.

One of the hallmarks of Debian has been respect for other Debian Developers
and the work they do.  Part of that is asking the other person if they want
or need help.  Even when there is no response, the expectation is a delayed
non-maintainer upload is done unless it is a critical security issue.

> You are listed as an uploader on a large number of packages in the Debian
> Hamradio Maintainers team on which you have never actually performed any
> maintainence and this is the larger problem. It makes it difficult to
> co-ordinate maintainence of our packages and gives the false impression that
> there are those performing active maintainence on the package.

Back when the hamradio maintainers group was created, all the Debian Developers
who were active in ham radio packages were added to all the ham radio packages
as uploaders and the owner was changed to the hamradio maintainers group.
This was done to make it easier for maintainence of the packages because there
were a number of people available to handle "emergency" situations as well as
general maintainence.

Over the years since this was done, many of the people in the original hamradio
maintainers group moved on.  I worked on the packages I actually used and only
in an extreme emergency build ad upload packages I don't use.  This way I know
the package I upload works.

> As far as I can tell, you have essentially retired from the project at this
> point and should have orphaned your packages.

So you are now judge, jury and executioner with the power to declare Debian
Developers retired from the project?  It is such a relief to know you have
the gift of reading people's hearts and minds without consulting them.

Not that it is any of your business (and it is not) but for the last six years
or so I have been involved with some things in real life that greatly reduced
my time available for work on Debian.  Not eliminated, but greatly reduced.
Had I orphaned the ham radio packages back in 2008 or so I don't think we
would be having this discussion because there would quite possibly be no
ham radio packages left in Debian.  Certainly the ax25 packages would not
have survived the node-js issue if there had been no one to speak for them.

> If you are planning to do active maintainence on the package, then I can
> readd you to the Uploaders field on the next upload (I still have to correct
> the DEP-5 copyright - though I've done this upload to allow for builds to
> work on GNU/kFreeBSD and GNU/Hurd again after the upgrade to the latest
> upstream version).

We've had this discussion already talking over a bug list.  You were and are
fully aware I am increasing my work on Debian.

I am more than a little concerned that you haven't completed the NM process and
are able to upload packages....

Pat