Re: Switch to gitlab?

Re: Lapo Pieri 2019-01-17 <20190117211517.GC1620@debian>

> > > If the question is about the Debian package, the packaging needs to be
> > > updated to look there for new releases. Currently it is looking at
> > > http://www.qsl.net/ik5nax/ which seems to have 1.1 only, so it's
> > > missing 1.2.1 already.
>
> About two years ago a mantainer of debian-ham wrote me that everything
> was ok, I'll forward you some msg
>
> > The packaging repo is at https://salsa.debian.org/debian-hamradio-team/gsmc
>
> Yes, that's the updated one. I'm sorry but really I'm not a developer
> something is difficult for me and I don't understand if the link show me
> is linked to my repo on github or not, this one:
>
>     https://github.com/radioteknos/gsmc
>
> Please tell me if I could do anything to fix what and what info you need
> after I'll move to gitlab

Hi Lapo,

Debian packages are generally based on tarballs, not on git checkouts.
So while we do keep the packaging in git (so we can track changes to
the debian/ directory), the upstream code is imported from tarballs.
There is an automated scanner system (uscan) looking at "watch" files
that look for new upstream releases on some web page. For gsmc, this
is

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-hamradio-team/gsmc/blob/master/debian/watch

If you ignore all that weird regexp stuff in there, what it does is to
look at http://www.qsl.net/ik5nax/ and output a list of tarballs it
finds there.

So if you are moving the upstream location, all we really want to know
is where you are putting release tarballs. (Github tags work as well,
because github allows downloading tarballs from tags/releases. Gitlab
will probably have that functionality as well, haven't tried yet.)

Of course it's nice for the Debian maintainer to know about the
upstream git location as well, the tarballs are the source of truth we
are using.

Does that explain things a bit more?

Christoph