Re: seeking feedback per unixcw v3.6.1-1

On Sun, Jan 07, 2024 at 11:17:30AM -0800, tony mancill wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2024 at 03:02:21PM +0100, Daniele Forsi wrote:
> > Hello Federico,
> >
> > you wrote
> > > the salsa unixcw pipeline passes all but one part; it reports a
> > > failure with the `blhc' subtask ("build log hardening check", which is new to
> > > me).
> >
> > the issue with bhlc was that configure.ac hardcodes
> > -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 (both in CFLAGS and in CXXFLAGS) and this
> > overrides the -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 set by debian/rules with the line:
> > export DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS = hardening=+all
> >
> > It was hinted by warnings like this in the build log, not in the bhls log:
> > <command-line>: warning: "_FORTIFY_SOURCE" redefined
> >
> > Please consider merging this branch that I just pushed and that makes
> > the bhlc test to succeed by removing the the definition of
> > _FORTIFY_SOURCE in configure.ac:
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debian-hamradio-team/unixcw/-/tree/fix/blhc-test?ref_type=heads
> >
> > I don't know if this has unwanted side effects, but I briefly ran cw,
> > cwcp and xvcp without issues.
>
> Hi Fede, hi Daniele,
>
> The patch looks good to me, and the packaging of the update looks good
> with one caveat.  Because this upload includes an SONAME bump, it's
> technically a transition [1] and needs to be uploaded to experimental
> and we will need to request a transition slot on the package has
> cleared NEW so that cwdaemon transitions correctly.
>
> I looked into the dropped "Provides: libcw6-dev" and #996628 [2], and
> agree with that change, although you might note it in the changelog.
> I'm not claiming that it's strictly necessary, but perhaps it could help
> someone working on a Debian derivative or a backport.
>
> Also, and this is very minor, but you can go ahead and set the d/copyright
> years for your Debian contributions to 2024.
>
> Fede, let me know if you'd like to merge the patch and fix up the
> changelog for experimental, or if you would prefer that I do it.  Once I
> hear back from you, I will sponsor the upload.
>
> Thank you both for the update.
>
> Cheers,
> tony
>
> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions
> [2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=996628

Many thanks for the feedback and fixes all.  Green light from my side to merge
the branch and progress suggested improvements.

I had seen the "_FORTIFY_SOURCE" alerts in the build logs, but wasn't clear on
the cause or fix.  Adding this to my notes, thanks Daniele.

ACK tony per the transition request.  I've queued up reading the cited
wiki.d.o page, but it may be more efficient for another to progress this
instance.

Per the dropped "Provides: libcw6-dev", I was thinking this 3.6.1-1 ("trixie")
package would support an upgrade from 3.6.0-5 ("bookworm"), which provides
libcw-dev.  Not clear how this may be worded in the changelog, but certainly
support more information.

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback and support with this package.

73,
donfede