Re: Happstack

Hello,

The happstack package used to contain stuff.. but it is more or less
dead these days. The core of happstack is in happstack-server. The
core can then be supplemented using a bunch of addons like acid-state
(native Haskell DB), happstack-hsp (type-safe, compiled type HTML
templates), web-routes (type-safe urls), reform (type-safe form
processing). A bunch of those options are wrapped up neatly in
happstack-foundation. Or, you can mix and match your own components.
For example, some people prefer heist for templating. heist uses XML
files which are read at runtime. IMO, that is trouble in the long
wrong, because you get silent, runtime errors -- but it is nice
because you do not need to recompile after changing your templates.

Personally, I recommend that you install all libraries using cabal
instead of apt-get. The two systems do not mix very well at all (by
design). Therefore you must either install everything via apt-get,
everything via cabal, or get very good and recognizing and solving the
problems that arise when mixing the two. Debian's Haskell repository
is hopelessly out of date, and very incomplete.

Definitely check out the docs:

http://happstack.com/page/view-page-slug/3/documentation

If you want to use happstack-foundation, there is an exceedingly long
screencast,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wmszk4wZxQ

It's a little out of date, but mostly still accurate.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask more questions. I am often on
#haskell on irc if you want realtime help.

- jeremy