Re: HTCondor 23.4.0

Thank you for pointing these problem out.

I'll take care of most of this in the 23.7 or 23.8 release.

I appreciate your guidance.

...Tim

On 2/13/24 00:42, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi again,

the build went fine thus I uploaded the package as is.

I've created a new changelog entry in Git with a nitpicking change
suggested by lintian

   Package: htcondor-doc is rather in Section: doc

to simply shorten the list of lintian warnings (=reduce some noise).

I'd strongly recomend to deal in future with

   condor source: uses-python-distutils [src/vendor/fmt-10.1.0/support/manage.py:17]

which is caused by the usage of distutils:

$ grep -R distutils
build/cmake/CondorPackageConfig.cmake:  execute_process( COMMAND python2 -c "import distutils.sysconfig; import sys; sys.stdout.write(distutils.sysconfig.get_python_lib(1)[1:])" OUTPUT_VARIABLE C_PYTHONARCHLIB)
build/cmake/CondorPackageConfig.cmake:  execute_process( COMMAND python3 -c "import distutils.sysconfig; import sys; sys.stdout.write(distutils.sysconfig.get_python_lib(1)[1:])" OUTPUT_VARIABLE C_PYTHON3ARCHLIB)
build/cmake/CondorConfigure.cmake:        set(PYTHON_QUERY_PART_01 "from distutils import sysconfig as s;")
build/cmake/CondorConfigure.cmake:        set(PYTHON_QUERY_PART_01 "from distutils import sysconfig as s;")
src/vendor/fmt-10.1.0/support/manage.py:from distutils.version import LooseVersion

I'm not sure about the cmake usages whether these are simply conditional
but should be inspected as well.  Since I do not know whether you can
simply upgrade the vendored code I have no idea whether you want to
patch this out by using python3-packaging where you can use

    from packaging.version import Version

    %s/LooseVersion/Version/g
    and I think you need to replace the following readfp by read_file

as well as adding python3-packaging to Depends.  But maybe upstream
fmt has dealt with this differently to  port the code to Python3.12.

There are also those lintian information

I: condor source: unused-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright gpl-1+ [debian/copyright:426]
I: condor source: unused-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright gpl-2+ [debian/copyright:443]

as well as some spelling-error-in-binary and typo-in-manual-page
information messages you want to deal in your upstream code.  You
get these with

     lintian --info --tag-display-limit 0 condor_23.4.0+dfsg-1_amd64.changes

All nothing that would have stopped me from uploading but finally
it is better for the user experience and helps decluttering lintian
messages to not overlock real issues.

Hope this helps
    Andreas.