Re: Bad LIF Image Error on Install for C8000 and J6750

Hi,

Helge Deller wrote:
> In the meantime I inserted the same CD into one of my rp5470 machines and
> tried to boot it, and it failed like this:
> Boot IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 2
> IPL error: bad LIF magic.
> Error Reading IPL
> [...]
> So, I assume that if a HP machine has a DVD-drive, you need to burn the
> image to a DVD-disc.

This is quite strange. The SCSI commands for reading CD and DVD
are the same. (ATAPI at IDE transmits SCSI commands too.)
About any DVD drive can read CD.

After booting to Linux:

Can you check-read the CD-RW by the DVD drive ?
For debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso this could be done by

  cdrom=/dev/sr0
  imagefile=debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso
  size=57583

  dd if="$cdrom" bs=2048 count=$size | diff - "$imagefile"

or

  dd if="$cdrom" bs=2048 count=$size | md5sum

What SCSI profiles does the DVD drive report ?
This inquiry needs rw-permission at the drive device.
I assume dev/sr0.

  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -list_profiles

I expect it to report

  Drive type   : vendor '...' product '...' revision '...'
  Profile      : 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
  Profile      : 0x0008 (CD-ROM)

Vendor and product name would be helpful for googling.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas