plz help on "Read-only file-system"

I installed the Hurd from Debian GNU/Linux. Following the method
described in that tutor, (roughly) someday before.

I just login want to do dpkg -i emacs*deb while I get a ``file-system
mounted read-only'', and a ``cannot read from /etc/fstab'' like
error. (sorry the err msgs are from memory.)

Can someone help?

Ps, beside Hurd reference manual, is there something like a new *users*
guide? I feel the Hurd Ref is for programmers mostly, and I want to play
with hurd for a while before I got time to study the code.

Regards,

--
zhaoway -=- zw * zhaoway.com -=- http://www.zhaoway.com/ -=- blue ribbon
GnuPG 1024D/7C0441F2  BF4F B39D A53E A9BB 1057  2364 652C 1BA6 7C04 41F2