Re: Still having booting problems

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 06:19:41PM +0100, root wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 11:00:03AM -0500, Neal H Walfield wrote:
>

> > Grub believes that the SCSI drive is hd0.
>
> Ah, okay. It's the BIOS deciding this.

Of course, I should have thought of this earlier: I have SCSI bios.

> > > This won't work as it is a translator. You can try the following:
> > >
> > > $ echo 'main(){printf("Hello World");}' > /tmp/hello.c
> > > $ gcc -static -o /gnu/boot/hello /tmp/hello.c
> >
> > Excellent.  Can I use the argument vector here to make a `real' echo command
> > for more debugging (ie no need to compile 15 of those those with different
> > string)?
>
> of course.

Well, I tried both a hello world program and an `echo' program.  Neither
worked.  I also tried making the hello world the loadable module (in
place of servcerboot), but as far as I can tell that didn't even get loaded.
At the `normal' spot of the crash, it hund but when I presed a key
this time, it paniced.  Ie the behavior exibited by gnumach when a key
is pressed.

> Now that I think about it I get some doubts if the above will work
> because the terminal is not initialized yet. Probably you have to stel
> some code from serverboot to print something on the screen...

I will check this out.

> > BTW, is ext2fs.static suppose to have no output?
>
> A tip: Make the fs unclean and reboot, then it should print a warning
> at least.

I will try this.

> Good luck. Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks muchly.  Will do.

-Neal

Neal Walfield                                              neal@walfield.org
UMass Lowell - Fox 1512                                  Phone: 978-934-5347
                                                           Fax: 603-415-3645
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
                -- H. L. Mencken