Re: hurd / gnumach sources

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 10:14:21AM +0100, Jens Sander wrote:
> Yesterday I read something on Kernel Cousin about getting the
> sources of hurd and gnumach. It says, that I have to checkout
> them via cvs. Is this the only way ?

Well, I think Roland stopped his CVS snapshots. The source corresponding to
the current Debian package is in

main/source/base/hurd_*
main/source/base/gnumach_*

on any Debian ftp server.

> It's very hard to get into the Hurd, because you have to browse
> the whole web to get som info here some there. Sometimes you
> get info accidentally. It would be nice to build some kind
> of Info - Center ( webpage ) that contains nearly all info
> you need to get started.

the two main sites, gnu and Debian thems, are actually cross linked and
should link to all major Hurd sites on the web.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly room for improvement, but I don't
think the current situation is too bad. Concrete suggestions are much
appreciated.

> I think it would really be helpfull,
> because I imagine, that there are much more people who
> are interested in working on the Hurd, but it is just to
> exhausting to get to a starting - point.

I think that this initial effort corresponds nicely to the effort needed to
get used to the Hurd and to help with current development :)

As we improve the Hurd, installation and documentation will improve in
parallel, too. For example with your help (hint, hint).

> Can someone tell me how the Hurd - movement ( ? ;-) ) is
> organized ? Who is responsible for what ?

The Hurd is a GNU project, but no current developer of the Hurd is paid by
the FSF (AFAIK). Then there is Debian GNU/Hurd, which is part of the Debian
project, and we work on the binary distribution. There is a overlap
people-wise, so don't think of them as completely seperated efforts (but
don't mix them up completely as well).

Responsibility is a difficult word in the free software world. In some
sense, we all are responsible for our efforts. But you can say that Thomas
and Roland are responsible for the Hurd and GNU Mach, Roland and Mark are
responsible for Glibc Hurd support, Gordon and Okuji have taken
responsibility for GRUB, and me as well as all other interested Debian
developers took over responsibility for the Debian source and binary
archive.

Thanks,
Marcus