Re: Grub installation guide: [was Re: Install from FreeBSD]

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 04:59:02AM +0000, Alexander Kellett was heard to say:
> Then create a bootdisk with grub 5.93.1 (IIRC) by
> 	dd if=image of=/dev/fd0 count=512
>
> Then boot from this disk and type: roughly...
> 	root (fd0)
> 	install /grub/stage1 d (hd0) /grub/stage2 p /grub/menu.lst
> 	root (hd0)
> 	chainloader +1
> 	boot

  This is correct (I couldn't remember the exact command, which is part of why
I wimped out and said "Read The Manual"), but you don't need to create the disk
to do this; recent grubs can be run from the UNIX shell in command-line mode
to do this (although you don't need to issue the last three commands to boot
since you already have, you want to say root=(device holding grub stuff), etc)

  Daniel

--
We are Debian of Borg.  You will be packaged.  Resistance is futile.