Re: Hurd on VMware ?

> Please ... I am interested in the details.  I have been trying to cut
> some time loose to play, and the best way would be installing HURD
> under VMWare.  Please let me know what you had to do to get it
> working. Thanks.
>
> Dayne Medlyn

Ok, here are the steps I took:

1. Start out a new VMware environment from scratch. Use a virtual disk for
hda (~1GB, or whatever you like to). Swap partition should go to a separate
disk hdb - that way you can make this disk non-persistent once the plain
swap partition is there and it will not grow any larger that way. cdrom gets
disk hdc (IDE secondary master)

2. To partition those virtual disks, you will need to boot the virtual machine
from floppy or cd somehow. The virtual bios supports CD booting (enter
bios setup with *shift*-F2 - not just F2!) so that should not be a problem.
Most linux distributions support a rescue system from CD.

Just make it one large partition (type 83) on the first disk and one on the
second disk (type 82). Now you need to format the installation partition
(mke2fs -o hurd /dev/hda1)

3. Leave VMware.

4. Now you can use vmware-mount.pl to mount the first partition on the first
virtual disk to - say /mnt

5. use cross-install /mnt just like you would do it to a real partition.
Alternatively untar the tarball to /mnt.

6. Unmount the virtual partition. (I.e. stop vmware-mount.pl which stays
running in one console as long as the partition is mounted.)

7. Boot you VMware using a grub-floppy and have fun.

For using the network you may either use bridged-networking, which
makes your hurd machine behave just like a completely separate machine
within the real physical ethernet.

if you don't have ethernet connection or do not want to risk fiddling around
with it, choose host-only networking. That should allow you wo work
comfortably with the hurd without having to use that sick native console and
without haveing to run a separate linux machine. Unfortunately I have not
managed yet to get anywhere beyond being able to ping in both directions.

Ciao,
Nobbi

PS: In replies please CC me - I can't follow the list for the next week or so.

Norbert "Nobbi" Nemec      | --- zu Hause: ---
Hindenburgstr. 44          | Paul-Gerhardt-Str. 4
91054 Erlangen             | 90765 Fuerth-Stadeln

Tel: 09131-204180          | Tel:  0911-761206
e-Mail: nobbi@cheerful.com | Fax:  0911-7658329