Re: someone could port libgc

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:

> I'm still undecided about the advisability of this (I'm not checking it in),
> but you might try this patch to hurd/exec.c to put the stack at high address.

I think it's unadvisable.  It does help in the immediate case, but it
has a more general problem.  Programs should not depend on such
characteristics of the load-space environment; a variant exec server
might have a good reason for not wanting to load the stack there.
Also, on some hardware architecture someday it might be a poor idea
(insert general inadvisability of unnecsserary ANYWHERE=false
mappings).

I think a better strategy might be to just bite the bullet and have
the relevant code pass through the stack location so that user code
can read it directly out of global variables.  This is, after all,
what is done with _end and friends.