RE: Three silly questions to the Hurd-Core

>I think I
> should start somewhere earlier (structure of a generic C program), right?
> Or is it feasible to go right into the stuff itself? Any ideas out there?

heh, even I'm having a tough time... and I know the C language...  ;-)

> 3) Hurd -- nowadays -- still relies heavily on the mach microkernel. What
> chance does it (Hurd) have to get ported on another one? Is there another
> candidate anyway, or this is just a theoretical possibility?

The Hurd is the replacement for the Linux monolith kernel.  It's advanced
nature is *because* of the way it lays out and delegates the functions that
were required of the monolith kernel using the Mach microkernel.  If you
take this away, then you don't have the Hurd.  If you would like it in a
more theoretical sense, if you replace the Hurd with the Linux kernel, you
have.... GNU/Linux.  So, no, Mach is here to stay.  Apple's using it, GNU's
using it... and, best of all,  there are no obnoxious penguins or deified
Finlanders to deal with.  j/k  ;-)

Hope this helps.

Lucas