Re: installation

> > my hurd partition created from linux /dev/hdc
> > or grub hd1,0
>           ^^^^^
>           hd2,0 for /dev/hdc; hd0 for hda; hd1 for hdb
> > or gnumach hd2s0

Read the next line.
Grubs finds the devices in `bios' order.

> > it took me a while to notice that grub was ignoring my cdrom and gnumach was
> > not.

In grub, the best way to verify that what you are doing is correct is to use
the tab key a lot.  Ie:

grub> root (hd0,<tab>
 Possible partitions are:
   Partition num: 0,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x82
   Partition num: 1,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
   Partition num: 2,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

Here I see that my first file system on hd0 is linux swap then the next two
are ext2.

grub> root (hd0,1)

grub> kernel /<tab>
 Possible files are: lost+found usr home boot vmlinuz lib bin sbin etc var flopp
y dev cdrom initrd mnt proc root tmp vmlinuz-old

etc

Grub 0.94 also has a nice find feature:

grub> find /boot/vmlinuz
 (hd0,1)
grub>

Yup that is correct, (hd0,1) is my linux root.

Also, you may want to try out the new setup command, it automates
the install process, very nice:

grub> help setup
setup: setup INSTALL_DEVICE [IMAGE_DEVICE]
    Set up the installation of GRUB automatically. This command uses
    the more flexible command "install" in the backend and installs
    GRUB into the device INSTALL_DEVICE. If IMAGE_DEVICE is
    specified, then find the GRUB images in the device IMAGE_DEVICE,
    otherwise use the current "root device", which can be set by the
    command "root".

grub> setup (hd0)
  Run "install ...

Note that Run actually means that it is running the commands that is is
printing.

A final note, using the user land grub versus the boot grub can result
in huge differences in order of the devices and installability.  Therefore,
as a general rule of thumb, you should use the boot grub.  It is trivial
to create a boot disk, just info grub for the full or:

     # cd /boot/grub
     # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
     # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1

Assuming that the grub files are there (they may be in /usr/local/share/grub
in which case, if you plan to install grub on the hdd, you need to copy
them to /boot/grub).

By the way, the manual is very well done and an easy read.

-Neal

Neal Walfield                                              neal@walfield.org
UMass Lowell - Fox 1512                                  Phone: 978-934-5347
                                                           Fax: 603-415-3645
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
                -- H. L. Mencken