Re: fs questions

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 03:07:16PM +0200, Zsombor Gergely wrote:
> Could anyone give a pointer/explain
>
> - how shadowfs (if the usual unix /usr/bin and /bin directories are merged
>   together with shadowfs, how can I tell, where a file goes if I copy
>   something to /bin under the Hurd?)
shadowfs is not yet implemented.  Currently, /usr is a link to the current
directory, so if you do ls /usr/bin you are really seeing /bin.
> - how translator layering (if I already settransed a block device to /mnt and I
>   want to set - say - a gzip translator on top of it, what will be the
>   "source" and the "destination" for such a settrans?)
> works.
The block device is the source for the store and the store is the source for
gzip.  This is called dereferencing, by default, settrans replaces existing
translators, however, using the -L (--dereference) flag allows translator
stacking.

info hurd will explain a lot of the hurd concepts.

> Thanks,
> Zsombor

np
-Neal

Neal Walfield                                              neal@walfield.org
UMass Lowell - Fox 1512                                  Phone: 978-934-5347
                                                           Fax: 603-415-3645
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
                -- H. L. Mencken