Re: Server programming

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 07:51:04AM +0200, Daniel de Kok wrote:
> Lately I'm interested in programming the Hurd, I've read the source, refence
> manual, etc. Right now I want to try to do some GNU Mach server programming. I
> thought creating a http GNU Mach server (instead of a daemon) would be a good
> thing to start with, is it?!?

Mmmh. I am not sure what you mean. Do you want to write a web server that
can only run on Mach? I am not sure which purpose this should serve. In
which areas would this server perform better?

It's probably more useful and not so difficult to write a httpfs, a
filesystem server that "mounts" a http tree to some inode, just as ftpfs
does with ftp directories. Take a look at the ftpfs server in the Hurd
source.

Apart from that, writing translators (Mach servers) using the Hurd libraries
is certainly the central point of the Hurd, and I hope you will have fun
writing dozen of servers :)

Thanks,
Marcus