Re: cross-install's dpkg dependency

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 10:43:29AM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   It occured recently to me that requiring dpkg to be installed for the .deb
> installation method of the Hurd is a nuisance for a significant number of
> people (as evidenced by periodic postings to this list)  Since the cross-install
> scripts only use dpkg as a simple archive extractor, it seems like we should
> be able to replace it with calls to ar, tar, and gzip by fiddling with
> dpkg-hurd a little bit.  I looked over the script and it looks quite doable,
> probably the work of a few hours at most.  Does anyone know of any reason
> that this wouldn't be possible?  If not, I may look into it this evening..

This was the first approach, and it is not worth our time. Beside unpacking
the files, you also need to keep the dpkg database files up to date, and
handle configuration files correctly.

For people who can't get at dpkg, there is the tar ball install.

Note that cross-install is only a temporary solution until there are boot
disks.

However, if you really think this is worth some work, I would suggest that
you write some instructions how to make install dpkg on non-Debian systems
so that cross-install works there.

Thanks,
Marcus