Re: Installing the Hurd without preinstalling Linux

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 12:41:38AM +0200, Farid Hajji wrote:

> I don't want to have to install any flavor of Linux just to be able to
> mkfs an ext2fs filesystem on a free partition. I don't have that much
> free space to burn, at least not for an additional Linux partition,
> which I don't have any use for!

Sounds like good reasons for you to work on a solution to the problem. ;)

> A much better alternative will be of course a native grub/gnumach/root-fs
> bootdisk set, but that requires more work for now.

But it is more useful. This way we learn more about the Hurd (find more bugs
etc), while building linux boot disks does not gain us much.

> Was not Marcus working
> on it? If fdisk were all that is missing, what's exactly the problem?

Yes, I was working on it, and I will continue to work on it when all pieces
are together. The infos are in the list archive, but here is the short
version:

1. libstore needs an interface to deliver the Mach disk geometry data for an
underlying disk partition store.

2. fdisk needs to use this interface.

There is no reason why I couldn't continue working on boot disks even
without fdisk, but I chose that other stuff has a higher priority for now.

Thanks,
Marcus