Re: Docs format

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 04:48:25PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to write some more documentation about the hurd (this time in
> english). But which is the proper way to do it ?

texinfo.

> I mean if I should use SGML, LinuxDoc, DocBook, Latex or just plain
> HTML... (Maybe we could make a HurdDoc :) I don't know which of these
> use to write proper documentation. I think latex could be cool because
> there are translators to tex and html.

(la)tex is a good printing system, but a poor choice for a docformat.
It doesn't convert very well either (except to printouts).

And if we are limited to tex and html, we can get nice print outs, and poor
web sites, but no form in which we can read it on a simple text terminal
without a browser.

texinfo is not only the GNU format, it also has a decent viewer, and
converts nicely to all sort of formats.

SGML is also a good choice for content storing, but the existing converters
are in the medium range, and jadetex gives me shivers down my spine.

Thanks,
Marcus