Re: rc

# Yes, and if there is no gpm installed or it failed, X will run anyway.

Okay, that's cool.

Some things I've been kicking around:

- Remote service management

  This is a tricky issue. There's no real defined protocol for it AFAIK,
  and things like authentication need very careful consideration. The best
  thing I could think of would be to have some sort of 'svcd' that's
  optionally started at some later stage (for a start, it depends on
  networking :). That doesn't really need thinking about for a while yet,
  and I don't even know if it's worthwhile doing.

  From a network management point of view, though, being able to do:

$ svc granite:httpd restart

  Would be imensely useful.

- IPC?

  My thinking was that init should handle all of the service
  starting/stopping, and that 'svc' would be simple wrapper around an
  easy-to-use library that communicates with init (and maybe also
  acts as the client for remote service control).

  I was aiming for something nice and simple, like:

int
scm_control(const char *hostname, const char *service, scmact_t *action);

  And 'svc' just calls it thusly:

  action=SC_START;
  scm_control(NULL, service_name, &action);

  ...or whichever.

  The problem is, I can't figure out the best way to make the client
  library communicate with init [in a portable way].

How does this sound? Any suggestions?

--
Mo McKinlay             Chief Software Architect          inter/open Labs
GnuPG Key: pub  1024D/76A275F9 2000-07-22 Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay@gnu.org>