Re: Networking: how to?

On Sat, Mar 06, 1999 at 12:13:45PM -0800, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> Ok, my hurd system is up and running as it should be. Now, I just can't
> figure out how to bring its network layer up.
> 	I've got an NE2000 compatible ethernet card that gnumach detects
> just fine. I know others have reported mach barfing with ne2000 compat, but
> mine seems to work fine.

Please follow the easy guide by Matthew how to setup the pfinet translator.
Here is an excerpt:

   settrans /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet --interface=eth0 --address=NN.NN.NN.NN --gateway=GG.GG.GG.GG --netmask=MM.MM.MM.MM

With the correct IP addresses.

Then you need resolv.conf, services, inetd.conf, protocol from Linux /etc.

> 	None of the normal networking commands are available (ifconfig,
> netstat, route), and I can't decide if anything available on sid is really
> for hurd. In fact, I don't see anything under sid's hurd tree for networking
> anyway.

You can find binary packages in a very first alpha stage at
alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus (inetutils, talk*, telnet*).
Please give me feedback about them.

Thanks,
Marcus