Re: Installation guide updated

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

>      * alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/cross-install.Z
>      * alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/native-install.Z
>      * alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/dpkg-hurd.Z
>
> My scripts are not compressed, especially not with a non-free compression
> algorithm!
>
> Same for this one:
>    ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnu-0.2/grub-boot.image.Z

According to my sunsite mirror they are....strange. They don't appear to
be compressed on the original site tho - perhaps the sunsite mirroring
program compresses scripts by default?

> Wrong - cross install asks the user. No need to edit anything.

Coo, new features :)

> Remove this section w/o substitue. Latest native-install scripts create this
> file automatically with correct device file.

Done

> "Eventually, you will get a prompt. First, get that nice Bourne again shell:
>    bash"
>
> Why? The prompt already is a bash shell.

Ah. Last time I single-user booted I got sh. Is that bash in disguise, or
am I just out of date (slink CDs are taking up lots of time atm)?

> Latest version of cross-install refuses to install too much packages, so
> this should not be necessary. Please remove this paragraph.

Done

> "   Firstly, to make the mach terminal type the default in multi-user mode, edit
>    /gnu/etc/ttys, and change the console terminal type from pc3 to mach."
>
> This already is the default if you use cross-install. Please remove.

Done.

Thanks,

Matthew

--