Re: [bam@snoopy.apana.org.au: Re: Settle for /usr symlink (!)]

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 08:52:58AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> In article <[🔎] u1hr9qzvjmm.fsf@pusey.mit.edu> you write:
> >(1.b) is not true; I was very careful to make sure that the FSSTND
> >does not require a separate /usr.  (You can't get rid of /usr, but you
> >can make it a symlink, and still comply with FSSTND.)
>
> I stand corrected. Reading the archives on the GNU-Hurd web site
> led me to believe that it wasn't FSSTND compliant.

Let us back up this with actual quotes from the Standard (fsstnd, I don't
have FHS around here), so we can answer questions later:

"An implementation is fully compatible with this standard if every file
 or directory which it contains can be found by looking in the location
 specified here and will be found with the contents as specified here,
 even if that is not the primary or physical location of the file or
 directory in question."

The last sentence wins.

"The implementation must, when it attempts to
 find any files or directories which are not part of it, do so in the
 location specified in this standard, though it may also attempt to find
 it in other (non-standard) locations."

Well, we are probably breaking this in a subtle way (for example by looking
into /include instead /usr/include, but with the /include -> /usr/inlcude we
would have won again). But mostly we will comply to this.

> This means that any Debian package which can't cope with having
> /usr a symlink to / breaks policy and needs to be corrected, so
> I guess I have already answered one of my previous questions
> to Marcus.

Mmmmh. Reading a standard, I can't find this. Why does it "breaks policy"?
The standard says nothing about /bin and /usr/bin carrying the same file,
(or the same for /lib). This seems to be unspecified.

> However, I bet FSSTND never intended /usr to point to / ;-)

You can bet on it :) But I think this is the reason why it says nothing
about /bin/foo and /usr/bin/foo. Maybe we need an addition to the Debian
Polic document later (but first we need a GNU Hurd file system standard).

Thanks,
Marcus