Re: Trying to compile screen on HURD

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 02:14:35AM -0500, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Ian Main <imain@netidea.com> writes:
>
> > One thing odd is that out of the box it hangs on a function closeallfiles()
> > which closes all file descriptors except 0-2.  I assume it ends up trying to
> > close an rpc connection ?
>
> No, it's just that there are potentially 2^32 file descriptors for it
> to close.  That takes a while.  The code in question is not important
> anyhow.

Actually, me and Marcus were trying to get this going for quite some time.
He said that somebody else tracked down the problem to a bug in glibc that
allows some incorrect code to get by the preprocessor (defines aren't quite
right I guess). Apparently, a patch has been uploaded, but the next problem
is that nobody can build a new version of glibc, which is what the patch was
made against.....

	So, eh, yes, screen is being worked on, quite rigorously. It's
quite annoying only having one console, and adding character device support
to Mach wasn't exactly how I felt like solving the problem at the time ;)
Even though I ended up throwing up my hands and giving up on screen.

Someone else figured it out. I don't remember who....

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

"...Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing..."
	-- Ralph Waldo Emerson