Re: Hurd on my i486 won't boot

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 10:34:13PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > As Marcus said, and as I expected, it should show some kernel messages.

> now that you tell me it's a 486, do you have a math co processor? If not,
> you'll need one (or someone needs to fix the emulation code in GNU Mach).

OK, that's the problem. I first grabbed the Mach source, and, seeing that
there was some FPU emulation code, assumed it would go on my 486sx. I didn't
bother checking to see if it was broken or not. :)

Perhaps it would be a good idea for GNU Mach to actually *say* "You need a
math coprocessor" rather than just freezing? At the moment, this does seem
to rather limit the Hurd's usefulness on older machines. I'll have to try
getting Hurd installed under VMWare.

I've now joined the list. Thanks for all your help.

--

Adam Sampson
azz@josstix.demon.co.uk