Re: Suggestion: 'porting issues' web page

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 08:18:14PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   Hello all,
>
>   It occurs to me that it might be useful to compile a list of known
> incompatabilities and issues between Linux and the Hurd (or I suppose
> more accurately since some of these are C library or tool issues,
> Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/Hurd).

I started such a thing for the Debian GNU/Hurd porting pages, but ithey are
not up yet. I will collect them from this list as time allows.

> libc doesn't have FILE->_IO_read_ptr but that FILE->__bufp-FILE->__buffer
> can be used instead, or the libtool madness (although this will evidently
> be fixed soon)..

The fromer yes, the latter no, because it is just a bug.

> I suppose /proc would be a suspect for portability headaches,
> etc. Would there be interest in such a list, or are the common problems (eg
> libtool) more properly reported as bugs against the packages causing them?

Bugs should be reported as bugs. Differences in designs would be useful to
document. I still don't have CVS write access to the Dbeian web pages, as
James Tracey is currently not around. please hold your breath and start
collecting those items already :)

Marcus