Re: grub: mounting ext2fs on GNU/Hurd partitions.

Roland McGrath <frob@debian.org> writes:

> We who wrote GNU/Hurd found it somewhat irritating that someone (we
> know not who) decided to pick a random partition type number and
> call it "GNU HURD".  I'm sure it was done with the best of
> intentions, but what its purpose or meaning is remains a mystery (to
> me anyway) and seems to serve just to confuse well-meaning folks
> like yourself.

One day we may have a new filesystem format, which would probably be
called the GNU Hurd filesystem format, and might well use that
partition code.  Regardless, it is always an error to use that code
for an ext2fs partition, as Roland points out.

Thomas