To: Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:50:43 -0700
From: "Igor Khavkine" <igorkh@hotbot.com>
Cc: debian-hurd@lists.debian.org
Subject: A message for the debian-hurd list

Hi, I guess you could call me a Hurd fan-newbie...

Thanks in advace.

Igor

BTW, since the time that I wrote this I also tried installing Hurd via the .debs, this didn't work either. I get stuck at boot time just when the servers.boot scripts starts executing, the error is:

Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[hd1s3] \ execext2fs.static: ../../libdiskfs/boot-start.c:416: \ diskfs_execboot_fsys_startup: Unexpected error: No \ such file or directory.
memory_object_data_request(0x0,0x0,0x2000,0x1000,0x1) \
failed, 268435459

(btw, I didn't find the meaning of the value 268435459 for kern_return_t anywhere in the gnumach/hurd source code :-)

------------MESSAGE------------------------------

I few weeks ago I became interested in the hurd operating system.
I've read the vailable online FAQs and documentation and decided
to try it out. I read the "easy installation" guide and decided
to opt for the large tarball method. Everything works fine for the
first boot, but as soon as I try to set up a translator like (pfinet
or ext2fs) I get an error like "init: translator died" and from
then on I get page faults/crashes all over the place, no matter how many times I reboot.
Has anyone else encountered simmilar problems? Is the package method of installation preferable?

Since that didn't work I decided to give cross compilation a shot.
But the instruction for cross compilation on a linux box are not
easy to find and are confusing and hard to follow. So here is what
I think a general cross compilation should look like for a packege
for system A on system B (pleasy correct me if I'm wrong at any point):

1) Obtain the source for build utilities (like compiler, linker,
...) for system A, and compile and install them on system B.

2) Obtain the necessary headers and libraries from system A for
the desired package and install them on system B.

3) Compile the desired package for system A using the develpment
environment costructed above on system B.

Ok, how about applying that to compiling hurd on a Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 box...

1) Where can I obtain the source for hurd's gcc and binutils? If
my gcc is already capable of producing hurd-compatible binary code this step can be skipped.

2) I guess the libraries could be taken from the large tarball or
from individual packages, but what about the headers, the tarball seems to be missing them.

3) Are the above steps sufficiant to produce a working hurd system?

I have the source for gnumach-1.2 and the latest snapshot of the hurd source.

Thanks in advance.

Igor

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com