Re: VMWare and GNU/HURD

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 12:15:38PM -0400, David Andrews wrote:
> I've successfully booted GRUB and Marcus' HURD tarball into a VMWare
> virtual machine.

Congrats. I told everybody that it may not work, because I read this
somewhere, but if it works, that's actually good. More people will try the
Hurd. Maybe I will try VM Ware, because I will need fewer reboots if i only
want to try something within the Hurd.

Thanks for your report!

> 1.  Built a pair of virtual machines.  The first is for GNU/HURD
>     itself and a single IDE drive was defined for it. Matthew
>     recommends that this be 500MB in size.  I gave it 576MB,
>     intending to split it into a 512MB main partition and a 64MB
>     swap partition (I knew not to make the virtual drive larger
>     than 1GB).  The real floppy drive was made visible to the
>     HURD VM, but not the real CDROM drive -- I didn't see the
>     point just yet.

Although the Hurd can access iso9660 file systems with the isofs server.

> 8.  GNU HURD booted up like a charm.  I was amazed and laughed like a
>     maniac.  My wife thought I'd lost my mind.

:)

Now, the next step would have been to get the latest native-install script
(from where you got the tar file) and overwrite the native-install script in
the tar file and run it after booting the Hurd. This will set up important
translators.

> It occurs to me that a tar'ed VMWare virtual machine would make a
> dandy development distribution for something like HURD -- iff the
> developer is licensed to use VMWare.  Of course, VMWare is commercial
> software, not free, and should not be absolutely required for doing
> development.

Yes. :(  Maybe Boch(sp?) will be ready at some time...

> I have a million questions, most of which stem from having rather a
> novice view of things Unix.  For example, Matthew isn't all that clear
> about which nodes should be defined in /dev -- he assumes rashly that
> I know what I'm doing.  I ran MAKEDEV against fd0, hd0, hd0s1 and hd0s2
> and sort of prayed that I was doing it right.

native-install will make a lot of device files for you, among other very
important stuff (if you don't run native-install, pipes won't work for
example!).

Beyond that, you only need device files for disk slices and whole disks.

>  I'll probably have to do
> the same for the virtual ethernet device, and some consoles... but I've
> got some reading to do before that.

Ethernet devices will be created by GNU Mach internally when network cards
are detetcted. Console is already set up by the scripts.

Thanks,
Marcus