Re: Your opinion about GNU/HURD (and vmware)

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 11:47:19PM +0000, Nuno Emanuel F. Carvalho wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I've bougth an AMD K6-2 400MHz processor and would like to create a
> partition for GNU/HURD.
>  How much space disk it's recommended to install HURD !? What about
> 300MB ?

The stuff you need to play with it fits in 100 MB, but you need more for a
"full" installation (wow :). "full" means what we have, not what we will
have when we are ready (when we are ready, you will need 2 GB for a full
installation, but that's far away...)

>  Should I create a swap partition for it or could i use the GNU/Linux
> swap partition ?

You can use the Linux swap partition.

>  Need I to create an additional partition to get dual OS working - with
> vmware !?

Mmmh. VM Ware usually works with virtual fs which places the disk storage
inside a file of your Linux filesystem. If you have lots of space in your
home directory, then you don't need a sepera^te partition at all.

But I don't recommend vm ware for two reasons: It is very slow, and it's
non-free. The advantage is that you don't need to reboot, and that you can
be sure that the hardware detection works.

Thanks,
Marcus