Re: "New" Installation Method of the Hurd, please tes, develop and comment

On Sat, Jul 24, 1999 at 11:20:44AM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:
> Back when I was testing it (in November, 1998), I found ext2fs would
> sometimes clobber a file and turn it into an unremovable block or
> character device.

I think that is unrelated. I experienced such strange files in whole 1998,
but not any longer since several months.

I couldn't say when it has stopped, but as of today, the Hurd is amazingly
stable. There are still some random clobberings, and some reproducable
crashes, but we delve deeper into the Hurd history and fix bugs there (I
just traced down a problem with nice() and with SA_RESTART, both probably
have to be fixed in code from 1996-1994 or so). To me this means that we
are coming along nicely.

I had such clobbered files for eample when untar'ing an archive under Linux
and the rebooting. Because I did a lot of test installs, this happened quite
frequently back in January. But I am sure I didn't saw this problem since
March or sometime around that.

Thanks,
Marcus