Re: Could we fix rreebboooott?

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 01:15:07PM +0300, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo wrote:
> Today, I reinstalled the system (gnumach-1.2-1, hurd-19990725).
> After native-install was complete, I had the famous rreebboooott
> problem where I had to type each character twice.  "ps aux"
> showed there were two /hurd/term daemons reading the Mach console
> device: one for /tmp/console and the other for /dev/console.

Ah, that's the problem... seems we have found a way to provide two virtual
consoles... on the same screen! ergh :)

> Could we fix the problem by making /dev/console a hard link to
> /tmp/console instead of creating it anew?  The passive translator
> would still have to be reset, but the active one could be left
> running.
>
> (Or perhaps settrans could get a new feature:
> 	settrans --active --copy-from=/tmp/console /dev/console
> which would connect /dev/console to the active translator already
> serving /tmp/console.  Is this possible?)

Mmmh. I wonder why the /dev/console translator gets active at all. Maybe we
can just shut it down after creating the device file if another term
translator is currently active. Then, at next reboot /dev/console is used,
but after native-install runs only /tmp/console.

Thanks,
Marcus