installation bug?

I'm trying to install via cross-install, and getting dpkg errors when
unpacking the dpkg deb.  The output I get is

ERROR: dpkg did return unusual messages, please investigate:

dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
dpkg: error processing temp_build/dpkg.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile returned error exit status 2
 temp_build/dpkg.deb

and I get the same error just running dpkg-hurd on that package.  Is
this a problem with the deb (dpkg_1.4.1.7)?

I have e2fsprogs 1.15-2, dpkg 1.4.1.9, and I've installed hurd before
so I don't (think) I did anything wrong.

--
Alex Shinn <foof@debian.org>
Lisper, Smalltalker, and all around poor speaker