Easy Guide / new tarball

Hi,

The 'tar' command in the Easy Guide seems wrong.  On www.pick.ucam.org
it's:

    tar -zxvpf --same-owner /path/to/tarball /gnu

My tar wants --same-owner before -zxvpf.  At
http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/easy.html it's:

    tar -zxvf /path/to/tarball /gnu

But the latest tarball (gnu-19991015.tar.gz) does not unpack into its
own directory and does not contain a /gnu.  (Every other *.tar.gz I've
seen from GNU unpacks into a single directory, though for this
purpose, that behavior is a little annoying.)

I made it work with:

    tar -C /gnu --same-owner -zxvpf /path/to/tarball

This (from the GNU site's easy.html) seems to be no longer necessary:

    cd /gnu/dev
    rm *
    ln -s ../sbin/MAKEDEV /gnu/dev/MAKEDEV

As I think somebody mentioned, the tarball needs sh -> bash, and I
couldn't see the network until I installed inetutils (replacing
1.3.2-7 with net/inetutils_1.3.2-7.deb according to dpkg).

Apart from that things are working fine.

-John