Re: Bootup Problem

Hello Marcus,

at least four people have this problem - I got it, too.
Here are my observations:

1. multi-user boot with kernel from gnu-19991025.tar.gz
   never failed booting multi-user mode.
2. Kernel compiled from gnumach-1.2 (1999-09-07) failed
   after command date in /libexec/rc.
   The failures were 100 % reproducible. Switching from
   single user boot prompt to multi user mode always worked.
3. Without any changes in my hurd installation, multi user
   boot now works with both kernels!

This seams to be strange at a first look, but you must know
that my Hurd runs on a notebook which changes CPU speed
depending on its power state (battery full, half full, nearly empty,
on power line ...). Between 2. and 3., the power state and so the
CPU speed changed. So the multi boot failures must depend on some
timings.

As soon as the problem reappears, I' ll try to examine it a little more.
Until we have a real solution, some sleep commands in /libexec/rc
might help.

Regards,
Stefan