Re: Hurd and Java[FW]

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 10:30:52PM -0700, Jim Franklin wrote:
> For the the Hurd developers the benefit would be in a higher
> profile for the Hurd as well as bringing in some real cool capabilities
> to the Hurd.

Note that the Sun License for Java is pretty much non-free, and
nobody here will be eager to work on this beast. Kaffe is a different
story, and I am happy to help anyone who wants to work on it.

> I believe Marcus B, one of the Hurd developers mentioned
> that java could be run as a transparent layer with the Hurd translators.

Of course. Just like shell scripts.

> > From: "Ean R . Schuessler" <ean@novare.net>
> >
> > I'm interested in this but have simply not had time to get a HURD machine
> > rolling. I would be willing to set up a dedicated machine for HURD
> > development here at Novare if someone can help me get through the install
> > and setup.

I am willing to help. Email or IRC? Start from
www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install.

> > Perhaps we can do something with a serial-console dual boot
> > system. Does GRUB do serial console?

Argh, I think no.

> > I can get Debian installed easily
> > enough, HURD sounded more difficult.

Well, it's easier if the hardware matches, because we have less.
Just extracting a tar file, booting with GRUB and running a script.

But you need a small linux system on the machine to bootstrap. No
boot-floppies yet.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>