Re: Bootup Problem

   Hello,

Roland McGrath wrote:
> > [fscks_start_fsck: /: Will make writable after fscking if possible]
> >
> >    It always stopped here and never went further.

> That is where it should be running the fs-specific fsck program,
> i.e. e2fsck.  Do you see any disk activity after that message?
   No disk activity after that message.

> If you boot single-user and run "/sbin/fsck -pw", what happens?
   I have made 10 times a single-user boot followed by the command :
/sbin/fsck -pw --debug
   It hangs 3 times with the same debug infos I got when I tried a
multi-user boot :
[main: Reading /etc/fstab...]
[main: Fscking...]
[fsck: Pass 1]
[fsck: /: Fsckable; free_slots = 100]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Checking mounted state]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Checking readonly state]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Making readonly]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Will make writable after fscking if possible]

   The rest of the times, it works all right and said that my root
partition is clean :
[main: Reading /etc/fstab...]
[main: Fscking...]
[fsck: Pass 1]
[fsck: /: Fsckable; free_slots = 100]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Checking mounted state]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Checking readonly state]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Making readonly]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Will make writable after fscking if possible]
[fs_start_fsck: /: Spawned pid 18: /sbin/fsck.ext2 -p /dev/hd2s2]
[fscks_wait: Waiting...]
/dev/hd2s2: clean, .../... files, .../...1 blocks
[fscks_wait: /: Fsck finished (status = 0)]
[fsck_cleanup: /: Cleaning up after fsck (remount = 0, make_writable =
1)]
[fsck_cleanup: /: Making writable]

> If you boot single-user and run "e2fsck -p /dev/your-root-device"?
   It never crashed. It always told that my root partition was not
cleanly unmounted.
   After a single-user boot, I tried :
/sbin/fsck -pw --debug
   followed by the command :
e2fsck -p /dev/hd2s2

   The first one said that my disk is clean, but the second one found
that the partition was not cleanly unmounted ! Clearly there is a
problem here.

   Bye,
   Gwenael