From: Alberto ANNOVI [mailto:annovi@cibs.sns.it]
Sent: Monday, December 06, 1999 10:28 PM
To: debian-hurd@lists.debian.org
Subject: newbie kernel booting problem

this is my first experience with hurd.
I got ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/{gnu-19991025.tar.gz,
grub-floppy-19991023.gz}

when I tried to boot the kernel it started to recognize the hardware then
it found the Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller and it hangs.
If I remove the SCSI controller it boot normally but could not access the
root partition that is on a SCSI drive.
further more in both the situation if I hit a key during the kernel boot I
got a Kernel General Protection trap.

Here is a summary of the boot and trap log (all the information are
manually copied and so incomplete if you need to know more just ask):

boot:
GNUmach 1.2
AT386 boot:.....
PCBIOS_init:..
PCBIOS_init:
PCBIOS_init:
Probing PCI hardware
ide:
   ide0:
   ide1:
hd0:
ide0 at
Floppy
FDC0 is
(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 19/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 419 instructions downloaded
then it hangs.

hitting a key:
Kernel General protection trap, EIP 0x11a934
kernel trap, type 13, code = 0
Dump of i386_saved_state 002a2???
EAX ....
ESI ...
CS ....
v86:
EIP ....
trapno 13: general protection, error 00000000
panic: trap