Re: User Mode Mach?

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 14:20:55 GMT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Adam Sampson <azz@gnu.org>  said:
> > It is also possible to run Linux as a user-land task under Mach.  That
> > is what MkLinux is.
>
> Would it be possible to run Linux and Hurd simultaneously under GNU Mach?
> That would be a very useful thing to be able to do. (I can see some obvious
> difficulties: how do you share devices between the two OSs?)

The "obvious" difficulty shouldn't be *too* hard to resolve, so long as
devices remain with clear "owners."

--> One or the other OS needs to "own" any given device, and can export
    logical structures (e.g. - filesystems) to the other.
    Thus, you might have Hurd "own" the physical devices, and then export
    them to the Linux instance "logically," perhaps exporting them via NFS.

--> If there's a single NIC, then one OS needs to "own" it, and then
    create a "virtual" NIC interface that the other OS can access.

--> A floppy's status could be serially multi-tasked, where either OS
    could "own" the physical device so long as both OSes didn't try to
    grab it simultaneously.
--
I would rather be in the back of a car then a cdr.
			-- Blackboard in 6.011 area