Re: Random idea:

Hello chen!

 On Thu, 30 December 1999 at 08:51:19, you wrote:

 > The program creating the file can record the file type when creating it.
 > There can be a default file type umask

Looks reasonable but I doubt that it works without problems.
Too simple and much too weak if you ask me.

 > It can be controled from command line by chtype [file] [type]

That's what our clumsy *.foo.bar conventions did for ages. ;-)

 > I don't think it should be verified. if the type is wrong, the program
 > trying to use it will complain nicely

How can it complain? It relied exclusively on the type the
filesystem gave out! And if it cannot rely on this - what
is it good for?

 > > - types would need to be determined from the data alone so
 > >   that foo.txt would be clearly identifiable as X-Bitmap if
 > >   foo.txt's data is a valid X-Bitmap - but what are you going
 > >   to do about foo.txt.gz? After all - you are still interested
 > >   in the X-Bitmap and you probably regard compression as something
 > >   that should be somewhat transparent, don't you.
 >
 > no it can be identified as gzip compressed file.

It can - but it would be most convenient if compression would
be transparent.

 > What I'm suggesting is to save the info in the file system itself.
 > I think that because of the way hurd implements file systems, it
 > may work nicely.

Nobody is going to stop you from hacking your own file system
servers - I would still suggest you take a look at the URL
"http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/magic-numbers/"; - perhaps this
project is not as dead as I thought. ;-)

(There is also a Mailing List Archive online at the following
 - you may consider "man file" for a smooth introduction to the
 wonderful world of magic numbers.)

Besides - a web server such as apache might even benefit from
a file system that carries type information, so feel free to
implement one.

/bye
Dirk