Re: Experiences with the HURD

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 01:20:47PM +0100, Michael Thaler wrote:
> I tried it some more times and my next discovery was that HURD seems
> not to like swap-space on logical partitions. I made a logical
> partiton with about 50 MB of swap-space for the HURD and when I tried
> to multi-boot (I placed the swap-partition in /et/fstab before) the
> HURD crashes while booting.

I will check this out, but I never heard about such a problem...

> Next time I tried to install HURD with my linux-swap-partition (I also
> have any problems using this partition until now. It is a primary
> partition.

Sharing swap is better anyway :)

> Next I configured the network and I had no problems with that. I have
> a 3com 509 ISA-Card in my PC runnung HURD and a PCMCIA-Ethernetcard
> (NE2000) in my notebook running Debian 2.1. It works well under Linux
> on both computers. But with HURD I discovered some strange
> behaviours. When I ping my linux-box from the HURD, all packets get
> lost. When I ping the HURD-box from linux, all works fine. And when I
> ping my linux-box AFTER I pinged the HURD-Box all works fine with the
> HURD, too.

Seems the pfinet server didn't come up instantly. Have you double checked
that the problem is reproducable? Does it only happen once after reboot
(kiling the translator)?

> I set up an anonymous ftp-server on my linux-box and I can download
> files with the HURD. Thats fine. I also set up telnet and telneting my
> linux-box with the HURD also works fine. I setup telnetd on the HURD
> and when I try to telnet HURD with my linux-box, strange things
> happen. It's no problem to connect to the HURD, but it needs some
> minutes before I get a message about the escape charackter. It needs
> some other minutes before I get a password prompt. But when I type my
> password, all works fine. What might be the problem? It's no
> hardware-thing, it works perfectly with linux!

Again, I never experienced this before. It works fine here...

> Is there any chance to get nfs working? What programms (packets) do  I
> need to get it working?

No packages needed, check the nfs server in /hurd, for example.

> Another annoying thing is, that there is only one virtual
> terminal. (Or are there other ones - Alt-Fx did not work for me). When
> a programm crashes and messes up the screen, there is no possibility
> to shutdown the system cleanly - good luck telnet works. I can
> shutdown the machine with telnet).

screen will be availabble soon, promised!

> How can I install the german keymap? I downloaded keymap.tar.gz from
> Marcus but I do not know how to use it.

Did I forgot the docs? Try to take a look at the source, it's readable
perl...

> And how can I make it
> installed at boot-time.

Add it to /libexec/rc.

> I also want to try to get X working on my machine.

That's not ready yet, at least servers. Get the libs from
alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian and set

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib

and set DISPLAY according to your linux box.

> I tried to install the gcc (of course...). It has a dependency on
> cpp. But this packet do not exist in devel. Where can I find it?

interpreters. Also try "dselect" with ftp access method...

> Another thing: Grub works fine from floppy, but there is no
> /floppy/boot/grub/menu.lst which I can edit. Do I have to mount the
> floppy first?

Probably.

>How can I do that with the HURD?

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV fd0
settrans -c /floppy /hurd/ext2fs /dev/fd0

or mtools if it is dos format.

>I would even more like
> it to install GRUP to the MBR. How can I make that? It's not really
> ehat I think a modern OS should do, booting from floppy...

It's not trivial, read teh grub docs, install command...

> So, that are my experiences with the HURD until now. I think, the
> HURD's really cool, I like it. Maybe I can help you with something, I
> would like that. But I am no programmer, just could program a little C

We will find something for you ... ;)

Happy new year,
Marcus