after getting started...

Hi,

   I have completed the getting started steps and now have a working
system.  I found the notes slim on what to do next..  so I have
questions and suggestions.  These might be good things to put in
at the end of the getting started FAQ.

    - how do I install more .deb files after I already have
      a working hurd system?  (Where do I get them?  A: same
      site that has the files .deb's needed to get started)
      Is this just simple dpkg usage at this point?  If so,
      a pointer to good dpkg documentation, and possibly an
      example cmd line would be useful.

    - how do I upgrade various pieces, most importantly, how
      do I try out a new kernel or set of servers after someone
      announces that they have been updated?  (Is this a single
      dpkg command?  or do I simply replace pieces like /boot/gnumach
      and various servers?)

    - where do I get sources?  (I found a reference to a CVS
      repository at :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.gnu.org/gd/gnu/anoncvsroot,
      I got 'hurd' sources here.  Is this the canonical source?)

    - what packages do I need to rebuild the system.  What sources
      do I need to retrieve?  (hurd? gnumach? glibc? ...)

    - Is there a list of what is being done, and who is doing it?
      If so, I would love to see the URL.

ok.. thats it for the 'beyond getting started' stuff.  I have an
unrelated question, though:

   Why cant ext2 filesystems bigger than a gig be used at the
   moment?  I know it complains about not being able to map the
   device to memory, but what is going on behind the scenes here,
   and what needs to be done to fix this?

                                          Tim N.